Subject: host.conf
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Dirk Steinberg <steinber@machtnix.ert.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1994 12:39:14
Hi,

I noticed that NetBSD does not support /etc/host.conf, as does Linux.
I usually use 'order hosts,bind' in that file so the hostnames are
looked up in /etc/hosts first, and then via DNS.

When I use the resolver in NetBSD, and the nameserver becomes
unavailable (when I disconnect the machine from the net; my machine is
a portable), I cannot resolve *any* hostname, including my own.
Also, I'd like to be able to use some of my own, non-official names in
addition to the official ones. Any hints?

Could anyone tell me how to set up an caching-only nameserver that
would keep working if disconnected from the net?

Thanks,

	Dirk

Dirk W. Steinberg - RWTH Aachen - Internet email: steinber@ert.rwth-aachen.de
Aachen University of Technology / IS2-Integrated Systems in Signal Processing
Rhein.Westf.Tech.Hochsch. Aachen / Integrierte Systeme der Signalverarbeitung
Templergraben 55 / D-52056 Aachen / phone:+49 241 807879 / fax:+49 241 807631
Home address: Kleikstr. 63, D-52134 Herzogenrath,Germany/phone: +49 2406 7225