Subject: Some leftovers from elvis -> nvi update, and termcap
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/1994 01:42:22
I just brought my system up to date with the 1/24/94 tar files.  I
noticed a few leftover problems, most of which are probably fixed by
now...

1) Get rid of /usr/src/usr.bin/ref.  I'm sure this one's already
fixed.

2) /etc/rc still has the old elvispreserve stuff in it.  I got rid of
it, and replaced it with the code from the nvi manpage.  I put it in
the same place in /etc/rc, but you may want to move it after the point
where sendmail starts.  Diffs available if you want them.

3) /usr/mtree/BSD.var.dist and /usr/src/etc/Makefile also have to be
updated to use /var/tmp/vi.preserve instead of /var/preserve.

4) Good news:  The reorder ex script in /usr/src/share/termcap now
works!  I found that some changes were necessary, though.  Diffs:

*** reorder~	Fri Dec 17 01:44:28 1993
--- reorder	Sat Jan 29 02:02:01 1994
***************
*** 56,62 ****
  /^h19-e|/;.,/^[^	]/-m'a
  /^h19-g|/;.,/^[^	]/-m'a
  /^dmd|/;.,/^[^	]/-m'a
! /^s/;.,/^#/-m'a
  'ad
  w! termcap
--- 56,63 ----
  /^h19-e|/;.,/^[^	]/-m'a
  /^h19-g|/;.,/^[^	]/-m'a
  /^dmd|/;.,/^[^	]/-m'a
! /^pc3|/;.,/^[^	]/-m'a
! /^network/;.,/^#/-m'a
  'ad
  w! termcap

Note that the characters inside the square brackets are supposed to be
*TABS*, and not spaces.  So don't just run this message through
patch(1).

The new line moves the console (pc3) termcap entry to the top of the
file, which may speed things up a bit.  The changed line is necessary
because all of the old V6 two-letter codes have been removed from
termcap.src; it moves all of the base terminals (network, dialup,
unknown, &c.) up to the top.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                              voice: (617)461-4030