Subject: SCSI problems, the sequel
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1994 20:40:46
Is anyone with a BusLogic SCSI controller besides me having stability
problems with current?  My machine has been awesomely stable with
current for months running on two IDE drives.  I installed a new SCSI
controller and hard drive this week, and am having a ton of problems.

If I boot from the IDE drives, and mount the SCSI drives, the machine
runs, but I can't keep it up for more than half a day, doing compiles
and stuff on a SCSI filesystem.  I'm usually not there when it
reboots, so can't say what appears on the screen -- but the machine
does reboot itself (doesn't just hang).

If I attempt to boot directly off the SCSI drive, the machine only
comes up as far as starting portmap, then it hangs for a minute, then
reboots with a message similar to (it goes by *real* fast):

	system page fault
	bt0 timed out
	bt0 not responding to commands
	should call debugger here (adaptec.c)

Then it reboots.  Note that it thinks the SCSI card timed out and is
not responding *after* it has alread fsck'd and finished most of rc
and netstart off the SCSI root filesystem.  It always chokes at
portmap, unless I interrupt the boot before that; in which case it
dies a random time shortly afterwards.

The root filesystem on the SCSI drive is an exact copy of the one off
the IDE root filesystem.  Both mount /usr from the same SCSI
filesystem.  The system runs for hours this way when booted off IDE,
but won't run past portmap when booted off SCSI -- with the same
binaries!  The best it runs with the SCSI drive in the system is for
several hours, though, when it used to run for days on end doing
monster compiles with just IDE drives.

When I try to build a kernel with "option DDB", the kernel won't boot
at all -- it gets as far as printing the entry point, right before it
prints the copyright, then reboots.  So I have no way of investigating
more closely.

This is frustrating the hell out of me.  The system seems to run so
smooth and great while its up (when booted off IDE with SCSI mounted
after boot), until it crashes.

Do any of the people (Julian?) responsible for development of the SCSI
drivers read this list?  If not, could someone forward this to the
appropriate parties?  Does anyone have a shred of a clue what might be
going on, or how to find out?  I just spent over $600 on all this new
SCSI hardware and I'd like to have it work.  Help!

What I have:

	ALR Business Veisa 386dx33
	Conner CP3104 IDE drive
     => BusLogic 747s EISA SCSI-2 controller
	Quantum ProDrive 425s SCSI-2 drive
	10 meg of RAM

The controller is enabled in FAST SCSI-2 mode (10MB/sec), with EISA
burst mode enabled (I disabled it, but had no visable improvement).

Everything is the same in my system from when it ran perfectly except:
I removed one IDE drive (used to have two CP3104's), and I added the
SCSI controller and drive.  My sources are presently about 2-3 days
old.  This is not a bootblock problem as far as I can tell (I've tried
two different versions of bootblocks -- 1.8 and patched 1.14 -- with
no difference in results).

Here is my config file:

# original config file:
# GENERICAHBBT -- Generic machine w/ahb and bt drivers -- distribution floppy
#
# STINGRAY -- Config for Michael VanLoon's i386 box stingray.cc.iastate.edu
#

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I386_CPU"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
ident		STINGRAY
timezone	6 dst
maxusers	32
maxfdescs	256

options		MATH_EMULATE
#options 	DUMMY_NOPS
options		MACHINE_NONCONTIG
options		SWAPPAGER,VNODEPAGER,DEVPAGER
options		KTRACE,FIFO
options		SCSI
#options	ISOFS,MSDOSFS,QUOTA
options		FDESC,KERNFS,PROCFS,LOFS
options		INET,NFSCLIENT,NFSSERVER
#options	GATEWAY
options		"COMPAT_43","TCP_COMPAT_42","COMPAT_NOMID","USER_LDT"
options		XSERVER,UCONSOLE
options		FASTLINKS,LKM

options		SYSVMSG			# System V message queues; see msg.h
options		SYSVSEM			# System V semaphores; see sem.h
options		SYSVSHM			# System V shared memory
options		SHMMAXPGS=64

#options	DDB
#options	DIAGNOSTIC

config		netbsd	root on sd0 swap on sd0

controller	isa0

controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1

#controller	wdc1	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
#disk		wd2	at wdc1 drive 0
#disk		wd3	at wdc1 drive 1

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

controller	bt0	at isa? port "IO_BT0" bio irq 11  vector btintr
device		sd0	at bt0 flags 0 drive ?
device		sd1	at bt0 flags 0 drive ?
#device		sd2	at bt0 flags 0 drive ?
#device		sd3	at bt0 flags 0 drive ?
device		st0	at bt0 flags 1 drive ?
#device		st1	at bt0 flags 1 drive ?
device		cd0	at bt0 flags 2 drive ?
#device		cd1	at bt0 flags 2 drive ?
device		ch0	at bt0 flags 3 drive ?
#device		ch1	at bt0 flags 3 drive ?

device		pc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device		com0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector comintr
device		com1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector comintr
#device		com2	at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector comintr
#device		com3	at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector comintr

# Logitech bus mouse:
device          lms0    at isa? port "IO_BMS1" tty irq 5 vector lmsintr

#device		lpt0	at isa? port "IO_LPT3" tty irq 7 vector lptintr
#device		lpa0	at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty
#device		lpa1	at isa? port "IO_LPT2" tty

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 9 iomem 0xd0000 vector edintr
#device we0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 9 iomem 0xd0000 iosiz 8192 vector weintr
#device ec0 at isa? port 0x250 net irq 9 iomem 0xd8000 iosiz 8192 vector ecintr
#device ne0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 9 vector neintr
#device is0 at isa? port 0x320 net irq 10 drq 7 vector isintr

#device		wt0	at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 5 drq 1 vector wtintr

#sound-blaster
#device		sb0	at isa? port 0x220 bio irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr

pseudo-device	ether	1
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	pty	64
pseudo-device	sl	1
pseudo-device	ppp	1
pseudo-device	speaker
pseudo-device	bpfilter 4
pseudo-device	vn	4
#pseudo-device	audio

Thanks for any help you might be able to lend...

				--Michael

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center