Subject: Re: more serial problems...
To: Dejan Vucinic <dejan@cdfsga.fnal.gov>
From: Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1994 18:20:10
On Wed, 26 Jan 1994, Dejan Vucinic wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> At last a new and shiny Boca 16c550 i/o card is in my box, and aaarrrgghh
> it doesn't work. I am running semi-current with com patches installed,
> the patch fixed silo overflow problems. I have com0/1 on a shitty disk/
> floppy/serial/parallel controller with 16450, that's a VLB card and loses
> interrupts (no, it's not a bad driver, same thing happens in windoze),
> and that presumably kills my SLIP session.
>
> I installed Boca on IRQ 7/5. At boot time driver says
> com0 on ...
> com0 emulated fifo
> com2 on ...
> com2 emulated fifo
> com2 fifo
>
> Relevant part of config:
> device          com0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector fast_comintr
> device          com1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector fast_comintr
> device          com2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 7 vector fast_comintr
> device          com3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 5 vector fast_comintr

It was my understanding that you needed to remove the fast_comintr
reference and replace with the stock one if you had a decent serial board...

> When i tip the modem at 19200b/s, whenever large amount of data comes to
> the port (couple of lines of text, ati4 on a USR Sportster) i get several
> lines of garbage as well (couple of lines of same character). Also, when
> I dial the stored number, the moment it connects it says NO CARRIER and
> hangs up, which means that it received a character from the card in response
> to the connection message (I can connect with atq1).
>
> I'd greatly appreciate if some kind soul would tell me how to make my kernel
> happy with both 16450 and 16550. Also, in which stage is the mysterious
> serial solution we're all eagerly awaiting?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --dv

Jason R. Thorpe                thorpej@cs.orst.edu                   737-9533
OSU CS Support                    CSWest Room 12                     737-2552
      'These are my opinions and not necessarily those of anyone else.'