Subject: problems booting scsi
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1994 20:44:34
I just installed my awesome new EISA SCSI-2 card and drive, and
everything is working really great, except for booting.  My sources
are from yesterday's sup.

If I boot from my IDE drives like I always have, everything works
great, and I can mount the SCSI drive with no problem.  But if I
disable the IDE drives and reboot the computer, it goes thru all the
bios checks, the floppy drive light flashes, the SCSI light flashes
briefly, then the machine reboots.  It doesn't even get to the part
where it asks what kernel to boot.

In addition, if I type "hd(0,a)/netbsd" at the kernel boot prompt, it
boots from the IDE drive, anyway!  ARGH!

I do have a kernel and a valid root and usr partition on the scsi
drive that mount fine when booted from the ide drive.

I used "disklabel -r -w sd0 Q425s Q425s /usr/mdec/sdboot
/usr/mdec/bootsd" to label the disk.  Is this all I need to do to get
the bootblocks onto the scsi disk?  Is this the correct incantation?
Any help from scsi/ide drive users appreciated!

				--Michael

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center