Subject: Re: memory usage and lockups
To: Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1994 01:16:03
> | Just to add my experience with xv and Netbsd-current... It has *always*
> | seemed that xv never releases memory once it has grabbed some.
>
> 	xv has some horrible memory leaks in it, which makes it a very
> 	good test for using virutal memory up.  i don't even get it much
> 	past 14m though, before my machine goes byebye, and i've got
> 	70mb of swap space. [16mb ram].

Have you tried building xv with a garbage-collecting malloc? (have a look
at ftp.parc.xerox.com:pub/russell/gc.tar.Z) It was "ported" by my own fair
hands to NetBSD 0.9, and also works in -current, for the Sather compiler.

Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			     +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.