To: George Michaelson <>
From: Dennis D. Sherod <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/1994 07:16:52
> I really don't like the idea of putting a dependency on perl into the NetBSD.
> Once you start doing that, you start looking at a LARGE number of shellscripts
> out there and PERL-izing them, and before you know it its 'yet another
> time where ported s/w doesn't work, getting some currency between NetBSD and
> released stuff like Ultrix/STunOS etc dies...
> If perl admin stuff is going to come along, can we start up a /usr/contrib
> subtree and put it there? or /usr/local/etc?
> -George

IMHO, decisions like this should take into consideration of who the enemy is...
Windows/NT.  With that in mind, I think perl would be a good place to start to
make things better, but I don't think it goes far enough.  I'd suggest to all
the O/S development groups out there, including NetBSD, that X should be part
of the base system along with tcl/tk for administration duties.  It would be
nice to  see a second-stage bootstrap initialization that came up in some tk
application to get the rest set up on a machine.

The *free* O/S products should be there to foster *new* development and O/S
environment ideas, and I suggest that this is a worthwhile activity.

Dennis Sherod, Data General Corporation   UUCP: ..!uunet!spsd!dennis_sherod
2603 Main St., Ste. 360, Irvine, CA 92714 ARPA:
FAX: +1 714 724 3989                      VOICE: +1 714 724 3951