Subject: Sigh
To: None <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/1994 22:07:20
Here is my 2 cents on this stopping ....

  Setup: 386-25, 4 Megs mem 1 IDE hd, ...

  I compiled a new kernel on Jan 12.  (Jan 11 sup sources I think.)
	(This replaces my last compiled kernel of Nov 12 that had been
	up for 28 days at one time.)

  The Jan 12 kernel started having everything come to a halt.  A make
  would stop in the middle, but I discovered that I could get things
  going by ether interaction.  (I never tried the console.)

  At one point I had an "active" of /usr/src/lib and did a uptime and
  got a value of 0.00 for the load!  It appeared to hang after the
  termination of a C compile and as soon as I bumped it, the make started
  the next C compile.

  I never saw the load factor over 0.50 and I know I was getting a
  load factor of better than 0.60 with my Nov 12 kernel on a similar
  make.

  If I was going to make a guess, I'd start looking at the code that
  reports the termination of a process.  I have no hard data that
  the problem is there, just the observation of how my long makes
  went and how it reacted to my "restart key strokes".

  --Phil