Subject: degraded performance? is it just me?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Brad Parker <brad@stemwinder.fcr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1994 20:20:13
I'm wondering about my perception of sluggish performace with
"current".  When I first went to "current" last fall, 0.9a "felt" real
zippy compared to old 386BSD.  With the "latest" (as of yesterday), I
feel like I've gone backward and am stuck in the mud...

machine: 8mb 486DX/33 w/256k cache.  500mb IDE drive, local bus IDE
controller and local bus video.

I've been suping for months and just recently (like in the last week),
things "feel" perceptibly slower.

I've sup'd the latest and greatest as of yesterday noon.  I rebuilt my
kernel and "make && make install"'d /usr/src.  There was a glitch
several days ago which causes long "hangs" and that seems gone now,
but today when I compile in one X window, the other X window often
stops - some times for seconds.

Probably I just need more memory, but this doesn't quite "feel" like
like a "please hold, your pages will be with you shortly" problem...

I guess I'm asking if changes have been made which could slow things
down in the "two compile in two X windows case".  Or am I imaginging
this?

no doubt I'll get flamed for this, but I had to ask ;-)

-brad