Subject: /etc/hosts file
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1994 14:14:22
From the hosts man page:

NAME
     hosts - host name data base

DESCRIPTION
     The hosts file contains information regarding the known hosts on the net-
     work.  For each host a single line should be present with the following
     information:

           official host name
           Internet address
           aliases

Notice the order of the ingredients -- hostname address aliases.  Yet,
my hosts file and the hosts file on my Ultrix box, has always had the
pieces in "address hostname aliases" order.  When I was originally
running 386BSD I think it used to work ok this way, but I'm not sure
it's working right anymore (ifconfig complains, but when named starts
everything is working ok).  The Ultrix man page puts them in this
order also:

   Name
     hosts - host name file

   Description
     The hosts file is an ASCII file that contains information about the
     known hosts on the DARPA Internet.  For each host a single line should
     be present with the following information:

     Internet address
     Official host name
     Aliases

So, which is the correct order for NetBSD?  Just curious...

				--Michael

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center