Subject: Re: Upgrading 0.9 to current
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@hrd769.brooks.af.mil>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/1994 14:04:19
> There should be a
>
> 	- cd /usr/src ; make obj
>
> in here somewhere.  I am open to suggestions.  I am trying to comepletely
> document this operation for the FAQ.

you shouldn't *need* it (any more)...

> > 	- cd /usr/src/share/mk; make && make install
> > 		worked ok after 'setenv MACHINE_ARCH i386'
>
> I already found this one.  Isn't MACHINE_ARCH supposed to get set someplace
> centrally?

yes, by make.  however, to do that, you have to install
the new version of the libraries, includes, and the new 'make' binary.
to do all of that, you need to define it "by hand" first.

> or if you use the new make and do a 'make obj' in the directory before you
> start.  The new make defined .OBJDIR I think.

no, you don't need to 'make obj' -- the .OBJDIR make variable
sets things up so that Makefiles can easily find out exactly which
directory binarys are being build it, which helps to REMOVE
the need to 'make obj'.

before, you had to.  as time goes on, it's necessary for fewer things.
(it might not be necessary at all, now...  however, it's a good idea.)

chris