Subject: Re: Latest kernel + X problems
To: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
From: John Brezak <brezak@apollo.hp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1994 19:22:56

> The most recent sources (Jan 5th) give me a problem with X (actually,
> the sources as of Jan 2nd already gave me this problem). X starts up
> allright (though it seems a little slower). But, when running it,
> it sometimes stops in its tracks for a little while, or just stops
> alltogether.
>
> Stopping, but then continuing, happens to me when an xterm has to scroll
> a largish amount of data, for example an ls -algF. When it's about to scroll,
> it pauses for some seconds (5 or so), and then continues. This doesn't always
> happen, but a fair amount of times it does.
>
> The total hangups appear when I start up emacs or ghostscript; the framework
> for the new window that they create does not appear; the system just hangs.
>
> Does anyone else have thise problem? Some specifics:
>
> - a kernel dated 14 dec works fine, same config file used for it
> - X is the shared version, compiled by myself, which has never failed
>   until now
> - my kernel is completely standard -current code, I removed any non-official
>   stuff I had in there (I used to have the silo-patch for the serial driver,
>   and was also running pcvt, but I removed both of these now)
> - emacs is version 19.22, statically linked (worked fine before)
>
> Everything else seems to work fine (not using X). Has there been a recent
> change due to which I need to recompile X?
>
> Thanks for any hints,
>
> Frank

This sounds very much like the problems I'm seeing. I think it is due to
processes growing their VA space. I suspect a VM bug was introduced recently.

 John Brezak                    UUCP:     uunet!apollo.hp!brezak
 Hewlett Packard/Apollo         Internet: brezak@ch.hp.com
 300 Apollo Drive               Phone:    (508) 436-4915
 Chelmsford, Massachusetts      Fax:      (508) 436-5103