Subject: Problems with Adaptec 1542a and new scsi code.
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Eirik Knutsen <Eirik.Knutsen@idt.unit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/1994 13:51:21
After a sucessful sup this morning I applied the p_vnode patches and
the missing include directive in sys_machdep.c. I was the able to
do a complete build of the kernel and source tree.

I installed the new kernel and rebooted the machine. My old kernel is
from nov 9th.

But my Adaptec 1542a is not working properly with the new
kernel(probably the new scsi stuff??). The machine boots fine and
fsck's the filesystems druing boot(also the one on the Adaptec), but a
few seconds after getting the login prompt I start getting the
following messages:

aha0: device 0 timed out
aha0: device 0 timed out aha0 not taking commands!
AGAIN
sd0 timeout
aha0: device 0 timed out aha0 not taking commands!
aha0: device 0 timed out aha0 not taking commands!
AGAIN
sd0 timeout
MBO not free

While getting those messages I get thrown into the kernel debugger.
Trying to do a "continue" just displays some more messages and then
locks up.  Both adapter and drive work without problems with the old
kernel, so I'm pretty sure it's not a HW problem.

Have you seen this problem before? Is anybody else using a 1542a with
a recently built kernel?

 - Eirik -

Here are my fstab and config files:

/dev/wd0a / ufs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0b /var/tmp mfs rw 0 0
kernfs /kern kernfs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0e /usr ufs rw 1 2
/dev/sd0a /usr1 ufs rw 1 2

#
# KAKTUS - from GENERICAHA
#

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
ident		KAKTUS
timezone	-1 dst 4
maxusers	12
maxfdescs	2048
options		INET
options		XSERVER,UCONSOLE
options		DEVPAGER,VNODEPAGER,SWAPPAGER
options		MSDOSFS
options		KERNFS
options		KTRACE
options		FIFO
options		MFS
options		FFS
options		FASTLINKS
options		FDESC
options		SCSI
options		NFSCLIENT
options		NFSSERVER
options		"COMPAT_NOMID"
options		"DUMMY_NOPS"
options		DDB
options		"MACHINE_NONCONTIG"
options		"USER_LDT"
options		"COMPAT_43"
options		"TCP_COMPAT_42"
options		SYSVMSG                 # System V message queues; see msg.h
options         SYSVSEM                 # System V semaphores; see sem.h
options		SYSVSHM                 # System V shared memory
options		SHMMAXPGS=256
options		LKM

config		netbsd	root on wd0 swap on wd0 at 0xfe100000

controller	isa0
controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
#disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1

controller	aha0	at isa? port "IO_AHA0" bio irq 11 drq 5 vector ahaintr
disk		sd0	at aha0 flags 0 drive ?
disk		sd1	at aha0 flags 0 drive ?
tape		st0	at aha0 flags 1 drive ?
disk		cd0	at aha0	flags 2 drive ?

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
#disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

device		pc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
device		com0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector comintr
device		com1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector comintr

#device		lpt0	at isa? port "IO_LPT3" tty irq 7 vector lptintr
#device		lpa0	at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty
#device		lpa1	at isa? port "IO_LPT2" tty

# bus mouse
#device          pms0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 12 vector pmsintr

# Ethernet driver
device 		ed0	at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xcc000 vector edintr

pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	pty	32