Subject: Re: make src problems
To: None <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Tom Crockett <tmc@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/27/1993 23:10:29
>>>nm: sdbout.o: no name list.
>>>nm: xcoffout.o: no name list.
>>>nm: insn-attrtab.o: no name list.
>>>Segmentation fault - core dumped
>>>ar: no archive members specified.
>>>usage:  ar -d [-Tv] archive file ...
>>>       ar -m [-Tv] archive file ...
>>
>>I didn't encounter this problem at all -- my tree is very new.
>>I would suggest that you install new versions of ar, nm, ranlib,
>>tsort, and lorder.
>
>i saw this problem on lamp a few days ago, when updating some library
>functions.  the problem here is that *sed* was build with old libraries.
>
>this is causing blank lines in the input to join (i think) which caused
>it to core...  If sed is working right, join won't crash here.
>
>In any case, join shouldn't core like that.  I think John Brezak may have
>posted a patch to fix the "blank line == core" problem sometime
>in the recent past.
>
>chris

I did apply John Brezak's join patch the other day and a number of the
problems I've been having went away.  However I'm getting the following
now:
cc -O -DHISTORIC_PRACTICE  -c /usr/src/usr.bin/sed/compile.c
cc -O -DHISTORIC_PRACTICE  -c /usr/src/usr.bin/sed/main.c
cc -O -DHISTORIC_PRACTICE  -c /usr/src/usr.bin/sed/misc.c
cc -O -DHISTORIC_PRACTICE  -c /usr/src/usr.bin/sed/process.c
cc   -o sed compile.o main.o misc.o process.o
__main.o: Undefined symbol ___DTOR_LIST__ referenced from text segment
__main.o: Undefined symbol ___DTOR_LIST__ referenced from text segment
__main.o: Undefined symbol ___DTOR_LIST__ referenced from text segment
__main.o: Undefined symbol ___DTOR_LIST__ referenced from text segment
__main.o: Undefined symbol ___CTOR_LIST__ referenced from text segment
__main.o: Undefined symbol ___CTOR_LIST__ referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1
Stop.

This happens not just with sed, as above, but with the other primary
programs used to build the tree.  Via find/grep, DTOR_LIST is referenced in:
gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/common/gbl-ctors.h
gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/common/varasm.c
gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/libgcc/libgcc2.c
but I don't have a clue what to do about it.  There are some other
undefined symbols but perhaps they're fallout from the above.  One
step at a time...
Thanks, Tom