Subject: Re: make src problems
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, deraadt@fsa.ca, tmc@netcom.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/27/1993 19:01:01
>>nm: sdbout.o: no name list.
>>nm: xcoffout.o: no name list.
>>nm: insn-attrtab.o: no name list.
>>Segmentation fault - core dumped
>>ar: no archive members specified.
>>usage:  ar -d [-Tv] archive file ...
>>       ar -m [-Tv] archive file ...
>
>I didn't encounter this problem at all -- my tree is very new.
>I would suggest that you install new versions of ar, nm, ranlib,
>tsort, and lorder.

i saw this problem on lamp a few days ago, when updating some library
functions.  the problem here is that *sed* was build with old libraries.

this is causing blank lines in the input to join (i think) which caused
it to core...  If sed is working right, join won't crash here.

In any case, join shouldn't core like that.  I think John Brezak may have
posted a patch to fix the "blank line == core" problem sometime
in the recent past.

chris