Subject: Re: Recommended way to detect post-0.9
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1993 10:36:04
> > These changes are needed for XFree86, and I'd like to make everything
> > compile cleanly on all versions of NetBSD without requiring the user
> > to tweak site.def
>
> umm, hmm.  i understand this problem, but i don't think that *i*
> can think of a good way to do it; people running NetBSD-current
> are *NOT* running a "release" of NetBSD, they're running alpha-test
> software.

Let me rephrase "all versions of NetBSD".  I meant to say "all release
versions of NetBSD".  As long as "NetBSD" gets changed, that is fine.
Right now, I have modified XFree86 to check for "NetBSD > 1993070".
If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear it.

The only complication is the problem of whether -ll should be included
for programs using lex.  Since Makefiles don't have access to param.h,
it would be nice if a bmake variable contained the value in "NetBSD".

With X, at least I was able to hack this into imake, but for other
programs a bmake variable would be very convenient.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science