Subject: Re: Recommended way to detect post-0.9
To: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1993 01:19:25
> What is the recommended way to determine which version of NetBSD is
> being run?  From sys/param.h:

you've found the 'correct' way.

> #define NetBSD  1993070  /* NetBSD date: 1993, July, release 0 */
> #define NetBSD0_9 1
>
> It looks like the first one hasn't been updated in a while.

oops; it really should be 1993080; i guess i forgot to change it
for the 0.9 release (i.e. after 0.9-alpha...).  *sigh*

> These changes are needed for XFree86, and I'd like to make everything
> compile cleanly on all versions of NetBSD without requiring the user
> to tweak site.def

umm, hmm.  i understand this problem, but i don't think that *i*
can think of a good way to do it; people running NetBSD-current
are *NOT* running a "release" of NetBSD, they're running alpha-test
software.

the problem is that the features/bugs *do* change day to day;
i.e. if we'd picked a way to do this before the sys_errlist changes,
we'd have to give you the a way to do it now.  updating the value of
NetBSD daily is, in my opinion, completely out of the question;
it's revision log hell!

as of the next "release" the relevant #defines will be updated...

chris