Subject: Re: /usr/sbin/ypbind in /etc/netstart
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Brian Marcotte <marcotte@dsn.buffalo.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1993 17:15:12
Peter Galbavy <P.Galbavy@wonderland.org> writes:
> > I wouldn't suggest moving it somewhere else, but perhaps a 'mount
> > /usr' could be added just before this clause to make sure /usr is
> > mounted.
>
> I  agree.  This can break the automounter (amd)... it uses YP for
> getting info about mounts etc. I go with making sure  mount  /usr
> is done before, rather than move the ypbind startup.

And:

Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl> writes:

> > The tail end of /etc/netstart contains:
> >
> > 	if [ -f /usr/sbin/ypbind -a -d /var/yp ]; then
> > 		ypbind;		echo ypbind
> > 	fi
> >
> > The problem with this is that /usr/sbin/ypbind won't exist if /usr is
> > mounted over nfs (nfs partitions are not mounted yet).
> >

> Hmm, I wonder how this ended up in netstart; it has no business to be there.
> At the very least, ypbind should not be started before the portmapper, for
> sanity's sake.

Now that I think about it, maybe yp stuff should be moved elsewhere.
Simply putting it after portmap where it is now isn't the best
solution either. There are other things in /etc/rc that should know
about ALL the users. For example, cron/at my want to run a users
program before portmap/ypbind start up. I think that elvispreserve
wants to send mail to users also. Perhaps yp stuff should go after
portmap, AND some of the other stuff (cron, elvispreserve, etc.) be
moved below.

--
- Brian