Subject: A trivial /etc/netstart enhancement
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1993 06:02:21
The following patch allows the literal name '$hostname' to be used for
host name in the /etc/hostname.* files, and expands t to the value of
$hostname. Using $hostname in hostname files means one less thing to
change if the machine name changes or when seting up a new machine from
the configuration of an old one.

*** netstart.orig	Tue Dec 14 14:53:28 1993
--- netstart	Tue Dec 14 17:46:11 1993
***************
*** 66,71 ****
--- 66,73 ----
              if [ ! -n "$name" ]; then
                  echo "/etc/hostname.$1: invalid network configuration file"
                  exit
+             elif [ "$name" = "\$hostname" ]; then
+                 name=$hostname
              fi

  	    cmd="ifconfig $1 $af $name "

--
Ty Sarna                 "Oh, I don't know *everything*. I don't
tsarna@endicor.com        even know how fish work." -- Joel, MST3K