Subject: Re: netbsd i386 boots a diskless sun3
To: None <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/1993 14:15:00
   From: christos@deshaw.com (Christos Zoulas)
   Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 12:36:42 -0500

   On Dec 13,  3:01am, roland@frob.com (Roland McGrath) wrote:
   -- Subject: netbsd i386 boots a diskless sun3

   | When the Sun reads its kernel over NFS, something strange happens.
   | It starts reading and reads some, and then it gets a long series of:
   |
   | NFS server baalperazim-frob not responding still trying
   | NFS server baalperazim-frob ok
   | status 0x5

   I see that everyday when my sparc 10s serve sparc ELC's and the ELC's try to
   boot on a busy network. I don't think it is your problem. It looks more
   like sun boot ethernet driver lossage. When the network is quiet, they work
   much better. If you want to experiment, try to throttle the packets from
   the NetBSD machine.

I am very disinclined to believe that network congestion is to blame
for my problems.  My Ethernet consists of two machines (my netbsd
machine and the sun3) connected by 15 ft of thinnet cable which is
terminated on both ends.  There just isn't a lot of a place for noise
to come from.