Subject: Re: Emacs 19.22 with NetBSD shared libraries
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, mycroft@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1993 14:43:25
> Here is my new set of patches.  (It appears all of my previous set for
> 19.17 has been incorporated into the release.)  For some reason, the
> resulting executable is not pleased with `strip', but `strip -x' works
> and is almost as good, so I've not bothered to look into it.

Juergen Keil (jk@tools.de) worked on this strip problem just yesterday.

He found out the reason for the problem. It's some unwarranted optimization
in the strip program.

Within the s_sym routine ZMAGIC and QMAGIC executables get truncated off
any trailing zeros without changing the size fields for data/bss in the
header. If this truncation crosses a page boundary the resulting file
cannot be used correctly by the current page-in routines.

Juergen found out an even more annoying bug regarding this that we are
currently hunting down. When you try to debug a load module like this and
reference the missing page from within the debugger you get a kernel panic.

We let you know when we have a fix.
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) +49-228-985800