Subject: Re: wd woes
To: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
From: Dale Rahn <drahn@pacific.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/29/1993 09:14:01
> Mark_Weaver@brown.edu writes:
>
> Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com> writes:
> > 	In case anybody is working on this stuff, and is interested, I've
> > 	got come up with some, um... interesting data points on problems
> > 	with the wd driver (specifically the hanging disk light problem).
> >
> > 	Three times now, I have been struck by the hanging disk light
> > 	problem.
>
> I had this problem as well on my IDE drive, except much worse: I would
> be lucky to get through an hour without hanging, and lucky to get
> through one night without destroying my filesystem.

Would it be possible that the problem  is not in the IDE driver??
I had the same filesystem damage this last week running a scsi-only
system.

I am running 0.9 since it has been release and have not had any probelms
with it until this last week. Last week I purchased an ethernetcard,
SMC Elite16 Ultra.  Using the 0.9 ed driver I was unable to use the
card (only the latest version supports the Ultra: THANKS davidg)
While running this new kernel (0.9 I have been using for 3 months with
ed0 driver) I had filesystem damage to root. Last saturday I got the
new ed driver which supported the Ultra card and tried it.
While running this kernel I had drastic filesystem damage to my /usr,
I effectively lost all but my /home.

I am going to reinstall soon, I cannot trust what exists on the drive
at this point.

Could some interaction exist between the ed driver and the filesystem
(buffer) code?

Are other people who had filesystem damage using the ed driver?

Thanks for any help.

Dale Rahn, Languages and Tools                  drahn@urbana.mcd.mot.com
Motorola, MCG, Urbana Design Center
1101 E. University Ave, Urbana, IL 61801		  (217) 384-8585