Subject: Re: CVS & Perl in distribution... please
To: Peter Galbavy <>
From: Michael Graff <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1993 15:17:27
>> And pretty soon it is
>> 	(1) unmaintainable because we keep having to upgrade tools
>> 	    when new versions come out
>> 	(2) the sources become un-ftpable because they are so large.
>> Perl compiles out of the box. I don't think it needs to be in there.

>If this is the general attitude of the core team, why isn't NetBSD just
>the kernel sources and the compiler then ?

I'm kinda split on this issue...

Perl is something I ALWAYS recompile every time I rebuild, but perhaps it
shouldn't be in THE tree...

I raised a few eyebrows with tcpdump moving from othersrc to src...  I could
see CVS and sup as part of the src tree, but tcpdump, perl, mh, etc. might be
better left in othersrc...

Michael Graff    Iowa State University Computation Center      Project Vincent
215 Durham                voice: (515) 294-4994
Ames, IA  50011           fax:   (515) 294-1717           gg.mlg@isumvs.bitnet