Subject: Re: conditional symbolic links
To: None <>
From: Ty Sarna <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1993 06:45:33
In article <> (Bill Sommerfeld) writes:
> This worked on Domain/OS because the equivalent of namei() was in user
> space on that system (and thus, it had access to the environment).
> The kernel knows nothing of environment variables except that they're
> a secondary set of parameters passed to a program across exec().

What most people want this kind of feature fo is pathname substitutions
based on machine architecture, like AFS's @sys feature.  That can be
done without looking at the environment, since the kernel already knows
what kind of architecture it's running on.

I'm planning to add @sys to NetBSD unless someone beats me to it.
Hopefully, it can be commited to the official tree. [I say hopefully,
since some people will complain it's a gross hack... Personally, I think
it's very clean compared to the alternatives, such as automounter games,
shadow trees of symbolic links, etc. Unneccesarily complex solutions to
a simple problem, if you ask me. AFS's @sys is simple, it works, and
makes life much earier on people administering heterogenous networks].
I haven't yet decided wether to implement this in lookup() or in the
individual VFS lookup routines of the filesystems that would benefit
from it. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Ty Sarna             "Don Johnson is back -- back in time, and battling
                      drug-trafficking dinosaurs. Don Johnson -is-    Jurassic Narc. Tuesdays at 8; 7 Central & Mountain"