Subject: Re: Querry: "Error: Unresolved inheritence operation"
To: Marc Wandschneider <>
From: John Brezak <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/1993 15:29:01
> ----------
> | From: John Brezak  <netmail!>
> 	2.  I'm not sure if this is desired/required, but the only way
> 	to get any X program to work was if I put all of the libX*.so.*
> 	in /usr/lib (or sym-linked them at least).  Having them in
> 	/usr/X386/lib, /usr/lib/X11, and /usr/local/X11/lib doesn't quite
> 	hack it.
> 	    I assume this is some search path thingie, and while
> 	it isn't a problem for me, I just wanted to be sure that it was
> 	the correct behaviour.

Put this in your /etc/rc somewhere early - mine is at "building databases"

        /sbin/ldconfig /usr/X386/lib

And if you ever need to rerun ldconfig, be sure to use the extra argument. By
default ldconfig checks in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib . Extra paths are
appended and searched. Be careful with this 'cause anything that ldconfig
stashes are assumed to be trustworthy shared libs for use by suid root progs.

 John Brezak                    UUCP:     uunet!apollo.hp!brezak
 Hewlett Packard/Apollo         Internet:
 300 Apollo Drive               Phone:    (508) 436-4915
 Chelmsford, Massachusetts      Fax:      (508) 436-5103