Subject: Re: spontaneous reboots while building current libs
To: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1993 00:06:11
>I've had this problem for a little while too; I think the reboots were
>panic("Freeing vnode when already is"). Haven't got a clue what caused them,
>but after I installed a newer kernel they went away. Oh yeah, I also
>don't mount /proc anymore at startup, but I don't think that is the problem.

>Frank

Well, taking this advice, I built a new kernel from the current
sources, and sure enough, the problem has gone away.

(I borrowed a not-too-old-current copy of all the libs off my
office-mate's machine, so I can build everything without building the
libs and shared libs first.)  I have had three huge makes
(/usr/src/lib, /usr/src/usr.bin, and /usr/src/usr.sbin) running
simultaneously for a couple hours straight now without showing any
signs of trouble whatsoever (aside from the fact that I can't get a
load average or ps to work because of strangeness between the old and
new binaries and kernel).

It seems rock-solid now.  Thanks guys for a job well done. :-)

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center