Subject: Re: NSF oddities
To: Michael Graff <explorer@iastate.edu>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1993 09:42:43
> Also, /usr/lib/libtermlib.so.0.0 is ln'd to /usr/lib/libtermcap.so.0.0 when
> installing libterm.  However, this fails totally...  it seems that a simple
> ``rm /usr/lib/libtermlib.so.0.0'' does not work!  I had to log onto the NFS
> server and rm it there...

Are you root when you do the install?  Is /usr/lib writable only to its owner?
Probably remote "root" users are being mapped to "nobody" by the NFS server,
and thus doesn't have permission to remove the file.

> And NFS leave junk files on the server a lot -- .nfs1234565.4 all over the
> place...

When an NFS client performs the last unlink of a file that it believes is
still open for reading or writing, it renames it to this kind of name so the
file will continue to exist for the benefit of read and write requests.  If
the client crashes before those files are closed, they will persist until you
remove them.  If the client isn't crashing and the files are still left lying
around, then there is a bug in the close() code (actually vgone() or somewhere
like that) that should be nuking them when the vnodes are released.