Subject: ld dumps core
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1993 16:45:58
Ld dumps core when an unresolved external occurs in some cases, apparently.
I was recompiling ed, but forgot to install the new regex stuff first.
The old ld produces:

cow# make
cc  -static -o ed ed.o re.o buf.o cbc.o -lcrypt
ed.o: Undefined symbol _regfree referenced from text segment
re.o: Undefined symbol _regfree referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.

..but the new one does this:

cow# make
cc  -static -o ed ed.o re.o buf.o cbc.o -lcrypt
cc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I thought that it might be the -DEXPERIMENTAL that I used when compiling
ld, but recompiling it without that did not make a difference. Haven't
looked in to what might be the error.

Frank