Subject: New ld
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1993 00:00:09
Well, it the new ld (in particluar ld.so) fixes the problems that I had
with libXt.. So I am now finally running a fully dynamically linked
XFree 2.0 (yes!)

I still have one remark though. Suppose I have a program, that calls a function
f. f can be found in shared library lib1, but has, in its code, a call to f2,
which resides in shared library lib2. Now, the way to get this right, is
to include -L<dir_of_l2> -l2 when creating lib1, so that ld.so can find
f2 in there, when loading a program only linked with lib1.

However, if I don't to this, and link a program which calls f1, ld
will NOT complain about this. ld.so will, when trying to execute the
program, of course ("Unreferenced symbol f2 in library l1"). Shouldn't ld
already be complaining about this at (static) linktime?

This situation can happen, for example, with libXmu, which references libXt.

- Frank