ATF-devel archive

Re: test case metadata

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Antti Kantee <pooka%cs.hut.fi@localhost> wrote:

> Well, yes and no.  I think it's still useful for the test to verify it
> can complete.  Otherwise it might have hit an undetected deadlock and
> we falsely report the test passed.
>
> What we could do is pass in test_length and fail any test which uses
> that value and doesn't complete in test_length+2 seconds (or +3 or
> +5 or whatever stetson-harrison value is reasonable.  let's solve the
> halting problem some other day).  Alternatively, we could fail all fast
> tests which don't complete in the grace time (maybe if the test sets
> ``timeout'', we need to take it into account and wait until timeout to
> fail the test).

I assume that you'd still have to process this test_length internally
on each test case body that uses it, correct?

For now, I'd recommend implementing this consistently in the tests
where you need it.  Preferably if it can be made generic and in, e.g.
tests/fs/h_funcs.subr or so.  Later on, depending on how widespread
usage this get in the tests, we can move it into atf :-)

--
Julio Merino