ATF-devel archive

C-only library for test programs

Hello,

During the past week, I have been working intensively on a C-only library
for test programs.  With this library, it will be possible to write these
without using C++ at all: only the ATF tools will use this language and
thus will not "affect" those users who do not want to use it in their own
code.  There seems to be quite a strong opposition in using C++ in NetBSD,
and I understad it.  Furthermore, writing tests in this language for very
low-level stuff seems "weird".

I am quite happy with the resulting API and I feel it is better than the
C++ one.  This is not because of the language, but because this is the
third time I implement the test program API (first in C++, second in sh
and now in C).  Therefore, the requirements and all the necessary
components were clearer from the very beginning and thus were taken into
account earlier.  I have noticed that the C++ interface is not as neat
as it could be, so it will probably will change in the not-so-distant
future to mimic the C one a bit more.

Please note that this is still not feature complete.  There are a lot of
test failures and possibly broken stuff, but these will be slowly fixed in
the next days/weeks.

I am refocusing the goals of 0.5 to stabilize this code and merge it into
mainline.  Want to have it into NetBSD as soon as possible to avoid adding
more C++-based tests to its tree.

For now, you can check the code out in the 'org.NetBSD.atf.src.c' branch
I have just pushed to 'atf.mtn-host.prjek.net':

http://mtn-host.prjek.net/viewmtn/atf/branch/changes/org.NetBSD.atf.src.c

Comments welcome.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv%NetBSD.org@localhost>