Subject: Re: Device Drivers Info wanted
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG, marohn@iquest.net>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: amiga
Date: 02/12/1996 18:17:39
marohn@iquest.net (John Marohn) asked:
> Where can I find info on how to write a device driver for a Magneto Optical
> drive?  Maybe I can modify an existing driver.
>
> Currently it is recognized as a scsi disk (sd?).  I don't know the disk
> geometry so using it as a disk is out of the question.  I would like to use
> it as a tape drive.  I can tar to it as long as I don't exceed the capacity
> of the disk.

MO drives that act like a disk work just fine as a disk. I am using
one right now, in fact. The 1.0 kernel (i386) reports it thusly:

ncr0 targ 4 lun 0: <FUJITSU ,M2512A          ,1408> SCSI2 direct removable
sd2 at scsibus4sd2(ncr0:4:0): asynchronous.
sd2(ncr0:4:0): illegal request
sd2: could not mode sense (4); using ficticious geometry
: 217MB, 217 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec

> The drive is reported by NetBSD as not to support a mode sense command.

but then it goes on using some geometry anyway.

> John
> marohn@iquest.net
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ There are no lemurs in this post    rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl