Subject: NetBSD 1.1 and Picasso - possible solution
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com@am061.du.pipex.com>
List: amiga
Date: 02/07/1996 21:51:05
Thanks to those who responded to my earlier questions about the "blank screen"
problem with NetBSD 1.1 and the Picasso-II. Since then, I have been digging
into the nitty-gritty of Cirrus register access and have produced a modified
kernel driver which has been running for the last few days on my A3000T. I
now get the startup console and have been happily running X-Windows using
the Xcl server.

The fix involves changes to grf_cl.c, ite_cl.c and grf_clreg.h so you will
need a working system with the kernel sources in order to be able to apply
the changes. (Picasso owners would have to either temporarily remove their card
or, as I did, initially recompile the 1.1 kernel on a 1.0 system)

If I don't encounter any adverse side effects in the next couple of days,
I would like to make the changes available for anyone else who has the problem.
I was thinking of producing a set of diffs and a readme and uploading them to
ftp.uni-regensburg. Is this the best way to distribute this type of patch?

    George Harvey                   | Amiga A3000T, Picasso-II,
    email: fr30@dial.pipex.com      | MFC-III, AmiTCP, NetBSD 1.1