Subject: NetBSD 1.1 SCSI bug?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@cs.utwente.nl>
List: amiga
Date: 01/25/1996 12:36:10
Hello,

I just upgraded (well re-installed actually) to NetBSD 1.1 on my
Amiga 2000 using the binary distribution set. It's cool; thanks to
all people involved! Then a small contribution from my side:

 With 1.1 one of my SCSI disks, an old seagate, goes berserk. Apparently
 1.1 adds LUN support for SCSI-devices, and this disk responds to any LUN
 at bootup-time. The problem is it consumes quite some devicenames pushing
 `later' disks ahead (it occupies sd1, sd2, sd3, ..., sd8) `messing' up my
 fstab. I guess I can fix this problem by building a new kernel, with an
 appropriate CONFIG file. But still I guess it's a bug in NetBSD 1.1
 (at least partly, because the drive shouldn't respond more than once either
 while NetBSD should ask for it more than once).
 Note that the drive has the `LAST LUN' field set...
 I would like to use this disk *before* build a new kernel, so if there's a
 way of solving this beforehand, please tell me.

 My second comment is probably hardly a bug, but it is something that might
 scare naive users nonetheless. My installation went fine untill I mounted
 my `local' partition. The only thing I had done with it was `newfs'
 and `mount' it, so basically it was an empty partition/filesys. The thing
 was that NetBSD kept complaining about the fs not being clean and advised
 running fsck. I `fsck'-ed it but it kept complaining now and then. Only
 untill I actually copied files to this fs, the complaints disappeared!
 Apparently NetBSD doesn't like empty filesystems. As I said not a big
 problem but it can make people (like me) a bit nervous.

Thanks,

{ Feico Dillema,                                                        }
{ University of Twente, P.O. Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands }
{ `Fatal Error' means `brief discomfort' in most computer systems today }
{ However, it still doesn't in Aviation, nor within Windows'95...       }