Subject: Re: I lost everything. :(
To: None <SULEWSKIJ@delphi.com>
From: David <david@southern.com>
List: amiga
Date: 01/24/1996 16:58:34
On Mon, 22 Jan 1996 SULEWSKIJ@delphi.com wrote:

> I recently tried to copy a file from my ADOS drive to my usr drive under
> the AmigaOS.  I've done this countless times before execpt that this time
> I had the 1.1 kernel installed and this time I lost everyting.
> My usr drive now lists that I have no files but is 93% full.  Does anyone
> have an answer for this.
> I did a
> fsck /dev/sd2d
> but that returned bad superblock blah blah blah.
> So I read the manual and it said that a -b 32 will use an alternate boot block
> So I did that and it went through all my files, over 150 megs. I know have
> a lost+found directory and an mdec directory.  I lost my c programs, my X11R5
> my X11R6 my gcc...  Is there a way to get everything back? Please help me.
> Joe Sulewski

	if you run 'du' in your lost+found directory what does it report?
	Its quite possible that you have all your files in there - possibly
	with many filenames converted into #<inode_number>, but with the
	contents ok. (Hopefully you will just have lost the names of the
	higher levl directories - ie usr/X11R6 is now lost+found/#23412,
	but usr/X11R6/bin/* is lost+found/#23412/bin/*... ymWv)

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
     >=- Microsoft asks you where you want to go. Unix gets you there -=<
        <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>