Subject: Re: NetBSD1.1 & PicassoII
To: Jack Whitehead <jack@lexicom.ab.ca>
From: Steve Paul <xeglon@shell.portal.com>
List: amiga
Date: 01/22/1996 22:43:44
On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Jack Whitehead wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm having this same problem as well. Here's my configuration if it helps any:
>
> A2000 4.4 motherboard,
> PicassoII 2MB (don't know revision but purchased fall95)
<SNIP!>
> RCS Fusion40 with 16MB 32 bit Ram
      ^^^^^^^^
      Here it is!

  Well, something really wierd happens in A2000's with accelerators.
  (mainly '040 units)

  The GVPGFORCE and WARP units exhibit the same behavior with the
  Picasso/CL boards.  Keep in mind, the A2000's are using the non-
  32bit bus, so therefore *something* must happen to the outer bits
  of address registers and data register contents when they cross
  the ZII bus.

  The reason for WorkBench working so flawlessly with these units
  lies in the 68040.library and possibly some exception code in the
  Villagetronic libraries..  Unfortunately, documentation from either
  of these sources is bleak at best.

  I have been struggling with this problem for over a year now and
  really haven't had much success since NetBSD 1.1 (mainly due to
  the fact I have no known, tested "working" grfmode file..
  Anyone have one?? =)

  The secret lies in the VDAC_XXXX values (found in grf_clreg.h) since
  changing these values results in graphics on the display, but
  nothing with any "pattern" and nothing with reproducible results.

  Anyone who is also working with the '040+A2000+Picasso, please
  drop me a line!  I have a feeling the fix is gonna be something
  real simple, just not readily apparent!

  Cheers!

Steve Paul,  McCue Systems, Inc.               	              Unix/VMS/C/C++
stevep@mccue.com 					       SUN/AMIGA/DEC
xeglon@shell.portal.com	  "If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."

Note: The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the views of my employer.