Subject: Re: Amiga UNIX
To: White Trash <jaywon!laraby.tiac.net!mdugas@life.ai.mit.edu>
From: David Gilbert <pci!jaywon!dgilbert@life.ai.mit.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 01/17/1996 18:44:32

>> Now, how can I grab that X11 app running on my workstation at the
>> office...? :-)

White> I don't know of a way to do it after the app is running... If
White> anyone has suggestions as to how to do this, I'd love to hear
White> them, because I've wanted to do it a few times.

	Emacs supposedly has the ability to close it's window and open
it on a new screen.  You could use this in conjunction with gnuserv
(sends commands to a running emacs process) to achieve this for Emacs.

	In general, there are only a few ways this could be done.  The
simplest is for the application to support retargeting the window.
Basically, you pop down everything, close the screen, and open the new
one ... and pop everything up again.

	Another way to do it would be to construct an app to echo
work's screen onto your screen at home.  However, as this would most
likely be transmitting large amounts of bitmaps, it would not be very
livable over the average modem link.  I hav eseen systems like this
in operation.

	Now... the last (hostile) way to do it would be to construct
an extention to the X server to do what you want.  It would use
standard X protocols to efficiently transport the X calls to your home
machine (in effect, one X server would be the client of another).

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |