Subject: Re: All fixed!
To: Ola Eric Olsson <oeolsson@CERF.NET>
From: Jose Alburquerque <joselito@interramp.com>
List: amiga
Date: 01/16/1996 23:50:29
On Sun, 14 Jan 1996, Ola Eric Olsson wrote:

> I still could not login as root; it wouldn't accept 'ragnar' as my password. I
> also tried using '*' for password as Jose has indicated in his examples but
> then I couldn't login as either. I ended up removing the password for both and
> now I can login as ola or 'su' to root.

Listen, I'm sorry for using the '*' in the examples, what I really meant
was no password, but could not remember.  Anyway, using no password is
good at first, but if you want password protection upon login, you really
should have a password.

As I understand, what goes in the password field is an encryption of the
users password, so you cannot enter a password directly in this field and
have the system accept it.  What you really should use at this point is
`passwd'.  Try login in as yourself and then as root and issue a `passwd'
command for each account, you'll see the difference.

> I also appended these files:
>
>    added /usr/local/X11R6/bin to the PATH in .cshrc
>    added /usr/local/X11R6/bin to the PATH in .profile

This is good.  You might also consider using a system global cshrc which
is executed globally for any user that logs in.  There are 2 files which
you can use for this purpose: `/etc/csh.login' and `/etc/csh.cshrc'.  If
you want, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of mine.

> To /etc/rc.local I added the following:
>    export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/X11R6/bin
>    grfconfig /dev/grf3 /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/mymonitor.file
>    startx

This may work for single-user mode, but may not for multi-user mode.  I
suggest putting startx locally in ~/.cshrc (Just a suggestion :)

> Now I'm up and running. I was originally trying to use 'setenv' instead of
> export without realizing that, at that point in the startup, setenv didn't
> exist yet. I didn't even know 'export' existed until you pointed me to it.
>
> Well I'm going to enjoy this as long as I can before I try to break it again. I
> need to do my homework with regard to NetBSD.
>
> Thanks again,
> Ola

I'm glad you're up and running.  Enjoy!

-Jose