Subject: Still Can't Login Correctly
To: Ola Eric Olsson <jaywon!CERF.NET!oeolsson@life.ai.mit.edu>
From: David Gilbert <pci!jaywon!dgilbert@life.ai.mit.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 01/14/1996 13:26:30

Ola> Hi, I appreciate all the help to my login problem. I'm still
Ola> stuck however.  The first two lines in /etc/group look like this:
Ola> wheel:*:0:root,ola users:*100: The first and last lines in
Ola> /etc/passwd look like this: root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
Ola> ola:*:100:100::/home/ola:/bin/csh

	These look fine, but don't forget that the important file is
master.passwd.  This contains the actual passwds.  While in single
user mode, you might try issuing 'passwd too' and resettnig the root
passwd.

Ola> If I start netbsd in single-user mode by using 'loadbsd -S
Ola> netbsd' I come in as root. I then issue the command 'mount
Ola> -av'. But as root I can't use 'vi'. When I try I get the
Ola> following error: Error: initscr failed: No such file or
Ola> directory.  No TERM environmental variable set, or TERM set to
Ola> "unknown"

	You have to set your term environment to whatever it should
be for your console.  While in multi-user mode, issue 'echo $TERM' and
while in single user mode, issue 'TERM=<blah>' and then 'export TERM'
(where <blah> is what the echo $TERM told you).

Ola> I hope someone can set me straight on this. By the way, can
Ola> someone tell me or point me to definitions for all the arguments
Ola> to loadbsd. I know '-b', '-a', and 'S', but know nothing about
Ola> the other options.

	I don't have the Amiga port in front of me, but you should try
'man loadbsd' while theww system is running.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |