Subject: Still Can't Login Correctly
To: NetBSD Questions <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ola Eric Olsson <oeolsson@CERF.NET>
List: amiga
Date: 01/13/1996 17:05:54
Hi,

I appreciate all the help to my login problem. I'm still stuck however.
The first two lines in /etc/group look like this:
   wheel:*:0:root,ola
   users:*100:
The first and last lines in /etc/passwd look like this:
   root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
   ola:*:100:100::/home/ola:/bin/csh

If I start netbsd in single-user mode by using 'loadbsd -S netbsd' I come in as
root. I then issue the command 'mount -av'. But as root I can't use 'vi'. When
I try I get the following error:
   Error: initscr failed: No such file or directory.
   No TERM environmental variable set, or TERM set to "unknown"

If I boot-up using, 'loadbsd -a netbsd', I can login as ola. Vi works, but I
don't have permission to edit anything. In fact, I don't have permission to
'reboot', 'shutdown', or 'halt'. I can logout but have to log back in as ola so
I haven't gotton anywhere. I have to warm-boot the computer to get out of
netbsd, which means I've corrupted things and have to run 'fsck' upon
rebooting, then issue the 'reboot' command, then boot back into netbsd.

I hope someone can set me straight on this. By the way, can someone tell me or
point me to definitions for all the arguments to loadbsd. I know '-b', '-a',
and 'S', but know nothing about the other options.

Thanks,

Ola