Subject: Re: User ID Problems
To: Ola Eric Olsson <oeolsson@CERF.NET>
From: Hume Smith <hclsmith@localhost.isisnet.com>
List: amiga
Date: 01/12/1996 16:08:05
> Hi,
>
> I had NetBSD v1.1 and X11R6 running on my Amiga. I seem to have shot
> myself in the foot somehow. I altered my login stuff to create a user ID
> for myself rather than logging in as root. I can now login but I can't
> issue the 'su' command to gain permissions to alter my parameters; I'm
> told that I'm not part of the correct group.

i remember somewhere reading something about being in the wheel group.
i think the user had to be listed in the wheel group (/etc/group).

here's two of my passwd entries:
hclsmith:*:1000:0:Hume Smith,,,:/local/home/hclsmith:/bin/csh
bin:*:3:7:Binaries Commands and Source,,,:/local/home/bin:/bin/csh

and my wheel group entry:
wheel:*:0:root,hclsmith,bin

works for me...  i routinely switch from hclsmith to root and bin,
and bin to root.  notice bin doesn't have to be in group wheel.

are there any particular dangers running as wheel?
should i change my own default group?

--
Hume Smith   <hclsmith@isisnet.com>