Subject: compiling kernel: does 'make depend' have its dependencies right?
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Shaffer <jshaffer@pennet.net>
List: amiga
Date: 01/12/1996 19:20:56
I've noticed that whenever I try to recompile a kernel, no matter how
small the option I change, I end up waiting half an hour while 'make depend'
compiles a couple of screens full of files.  Is this really necessary, or
is it just recompiling everything in sight?  When it comes down to the
actual 'make netbsd', it only recompiles files that were affected by my
changes.

Also, in one version I turned on Sun3 compatibility.  Later, in an
effort to make a smaller kernel, I turned it off -- only to have ld
complain about references to some missing module related to Sun3.
Clearly, something is not right here.

Finally, what must be set to make the kernel boot?  There's an option
named INSTALL or something similar whose comment says something about
miniroot booting.  Since I haven't needed to boot from the miniroot
filesystem since I got the full system installed, I took it out.  My
new kernel would freeze with no error messages after the 'views configured'
message.  When I put the option back in, the kernel worked.

Are any of the config file options documented anywhere at all besides
in the comments in the file itself?  One half of a line doesn't seem
adequate for some of them!