Subject: Re: Amiga UNIX
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter James Naylor <e4315555@student.uq.edu.au>
List: amiga
Date: 01/11/1996 16:17:51
On 10 Jan 1996, Michael van Elst wrote:

> cs_yus@cs4.lamar.edu (YU SONG) writes:
>
> >I don't know much about A1200. I am running NetBSD 1.1 and X11R6 on A4000/040,
> >AGA, 16 RAM and 1.5 giga hard disk. Honestly, NetBSD and X11R6 run much
> >slower than Linux and X11R6 on my 486PC with same configuration.

Where did he get a 486 with AGA?

> Obviously.

:)

> >The bottleneck
> >I guess is A4000's old IDE controller and also AGA set is not implemented in
> >X11R6.

I think you should get a SCSI disk for a start... IDE/EIDE are not a good
idea for a multi-threaded, multi-tasking, multiuser OS which probably
depends quite heavily on virtual memory.

> It is probably more the significantly slower CPU unless you have
> an old 486 running at 25MHz.

Well, I don't know... maybe a 33MHz 486?  Maybe it's an SX33?  I'd rate a
25MHz 040 slightly better than a 25MHz 486.  Personally, I'd say that the
disk has quite a bit to do with it, and AGA is vastly slower than any
chunky-mode graphics board.

Peter Naylor
e4315555@student.uq.edu.au