Subject: Re: Accessing the HD-Floppy
To: Jose Alburquerque <albu3619@css1s0.engr.ccny.cuny.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 12/31/1995 12:20:06
On Dec 24,  1:09am, Jose Alburquerque wrote:
> I'm trying to compile mtools to have access to msdos disks under NetBSD
> 1.1.  The problem is that the instructions say that some device structure
> must be declared with the path and certain other paramters of the device
> which should be used to read//write to.  When my system boots up I get
> the message:
>
>   fdc0 at mainbus0: dmabuf pa 0x1e3690
>   fd0 at fdc0: 3.5dd 80 cyl, 2 head, 11 sec [9 sec], 512 bytes/sec
>
> So I figured that using the string /dev/fd0 or /dev/fd0c would do the
> trick, but that doesn't work.

  The device is /dev/fd0a (block device) or /dev/rfd0a (character device).
Also note that NetBSD only supports the AmigaDOS track format - it can not
read or write MSDOS track format yet.

> Another thing is that my drive is a high density drive, and it doesn't
> seem that this is being recognized.  Am I right on this or is there
> something I'm overlooking?

  The NetBSD driver does support high-density drives - but I've only
verified that it works on my A4000.  The driver automatically detects a
high-density floppy by the ID code sent by the drive.  [I think there may
still be a problem when switching between densities - it may take a couple
of tries before it gets the correct density set.]  Since I don't have a
high-density drive on my A2000, I am unable to verify that the driver will
work for other high-density drives.  [If anyone would be willing to donate
or loan me a high-density drive, I could probably get the driver working
if there is currently a problem.]

> Anyway, any information on accesing the drive would be greatly
> appreciated.  I would be glad to post any extra info needed.  Thanks in
> advance.

  If the drive does not identify itself as a high-density drive, then
the driver would have to be modified to explicitly use the high-density
parameters.  This could be done using the minor number and the 'b'
"partition" (i.e. /dev/rfd0b could be used to explicitly indicate a
high-density drive).

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu