Subject: Re: HD Disks
To: David Windsor <un047@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
From: Ola Eric Olsson <oeolsson@CERF.NET>
List: amiga
Date: 12/12/1995 05:55:23
On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, David Windsor wrote>
> I'm trying to backup my harddisk to floppy =8-) yes it sounds painfull to
> me too =8-) but /dev/rfd0a and /dev/fd0a will not accept HD disks and I
> can find nothing in my man pages to help.  Anyone out there know how this
> is done?
> Thanks.

David,
I assume you want to back up your entire NetBSD drive. If that is the
case you can do it to tape or hardisk from the Amiga side without booting
into NetBSD by using 'image' mode in AmiBack and possibly some other
backup program like Abackup.  This is an all or nothing backup procedure
that allows backing up the drive 'verbatim' no matter what is on the
drive or how it was formatted. It doesn't allow access to individual
files or directories. Restore is again an all or nothing procedure and
demands that NOTHING has changed with regard to the drives partitioning
information. It's wise to save out the RDB information from the drive
using AmiBack or AmiBack-Tools to a safe place so you can reformat the
drive to its original specs in case of an emergency. Now if this doesn't
address your real needs please ignore it, but it is one way out until a
better method comes up.
Ola