Subject: Re: A3000 system clock
To: NetBSD <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <tabt@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de>
List: amiga
Date: 12/11/1995 18:36:58
> Again, all I want is the OPTION to have localtime RTC. If you want to do
> it your way, fine. The solution is simple, tiny, and completely
> optional. It doesn't even require changing a kernel option and
> recompiling. Most of the smarts lives in userspace. So why not?

I'd like an extra kernel option, let's say RTCGMTOFFSET which could
be set for:

GMT:        RTCGMTOFFSET = 0
CET:        RTCGMTOFFSET = 60
EastCoast:  RTCGMTOFFSET = -300 (or something like that)

It could also be optional (for old config files) by adding
#ifndef RTCGMTOFFSET
#define RTCGMTOFFSET 0
#endif
to the sources which deal with the RTC.

> This is a MI-problem anyway. There are other machines besides the Amiga
> where the RTC conventionally holds localtime. There are even machines
> where the RTC *CAN'T* really reliably hold GMT (if the RTC automatically
> does DST adjust and can't have this feature disabled).

This is just the case for me: I have a radio clock receiver (DCF77) which
gets the current time (including DST) each time I reboot to AmigaOS.

This reminds me, that I'd also need a RTCDST = 60 option for the kernel. :-)

Bye,                    \|/
  Tobias                @ @
| Tobias Abt                                           |
| email: tabt@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de                 |
|   irc: tabt@#AmigaGer                                |
|   www: http://wwwcip.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/~etk10317/ |