Subject: Re: A3000 system clock
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga
Date: 12/09/1995 19:44:45
In article <199512090432.WAA07007@onshore.com>,
Stephen Champion  <steve@onshore.com> wrote:
> 	Any case, AmigaDos doesn't neccessarily expect anything from the
> battery clock.  As long as calls to the system clock get the correct time,

Certainly it does. By default, it expects it to contain the correct
local time.

> 	If you don't feel like whipping one up yourself, there's a copy of my
> brother's system clock setting script in the tools/ dir of your favourite
> uni-r mirror.  ftp://<mirror>/pub/NetBSD0Amiga/tools/warpdate.rexx.  Not
> perfect, but it does the job.

Fine if I you always boot from partitions on which you've modified your
user-startup. This can't be guaranteed.

Again, all I want is the OPTION to have localtime RTC. If you want to do
it your way, fine. The solution is simple, tiny, and completely
optional. It doesn't even require changing a kernel option and
recompiling. Most of the smarts lives in userspace. So why not?

This is a MI-problem anyway. There are other machines besides the Amiga
where the RTC conventionally holds localtime. There are even machines
where the RTC *CAN'T* really reliably hold GMT (if the RTC automatically
does DST adjust and can't have this feature disabled).