Subject: Re: Getting Tape to Stream
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
From: Ola Eric Olsson <oeolsson@CERF.NET>
List: amiga
Date: 12/09/1995 09:34:12
> Yes, this prevents the lockups, but this isn't a real solution to the
> problem, IMHO.  If an SCSI interface (like the gvp) can't use disconnect,
> it's about as good as an IDE interface.  I can't have my SCSI bus become
> useless while the tape drive is doing something.  I don't know about DATs,
> but my QIC drive needs a long time to rewind or retension a tape.
> Fortunately, the A3000 SCSI driver has no problems with disconnect, so my
> SCSI bus is usable all the time.  Obviously, Commodore had better
> programmers than gvp.
>
> I would think the gvp's only have problems under AmigaOS.  They are based
> on the same SCSI chip as the A3000 (WDC 33C93), so maybe the new sbic.c
> lets even gvp hardware run the way it's supposed to.

You're right, it's no solution, however the new 'GuruROM' and it's driver
are supposed to remedy this situation. Here's an excerpt from the manual:

	Problems related to early prototypes of the 33C93A SCSI chip in
	conjunction with certain peripherals (most notably tape
	streamers) have been worked around in software and should no
	longer cause the user any trouble. There is no need to replace
	the SCSI chip or disable the disconnect feature.

Good Luck,
Ola