Subject: Re: Getting Tape to Stream
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
From: Ola Eric Olsson <oeolsson@CERF.NET>
List: amiga
Date: 12/09/1995 07:14:00
On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Jukka Marin wrote:

> > 	I'd just like to jump in and add that I havn't been able to
> > get a 150 archive viper to work under AmigaDOS 2.04.  I have the
> > GVP Series II controller on my 030 equipped 500.
>
> I have never seen a GVP controller that works well with a tape drive.
> They may work with NetBSD, but the GVP SCSI drivers don't work, period.
>
> When I bought my Wangtek tape drive, I was trying to use it with a GVP
> controller.  Whenever I accessed the hard disk while tape was running,
> the SCSI bus _always_ locked up.  I have never had any problems since
> I moved the tape drive to my A3000 (which has four other SCSI devices
> on the same bus).
>
> GVP's drivers do not work. ;-) :-(

Howdy,
I've had a GVP controller backing up to an Archive Viper for years, and yes
it will hang up, but only if you forget to issue the following command to
turn off 'disconnect' for the tape drive:
	GvpScsiCtrl <unit> DCOFF
I have this line in my startup-sequence.
I hope this does the trick for you.

Ola