Subject: Re: Installing 1.1 via PPP(?)
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Jose Alburquerque <albu3619@css1s0.engr.ccny.cuny.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 12/07/1995 00:02:57
On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

> On Dec  5, 11:17pm, Jose Alburquerque wrote:
> > The instructions hint on installing 1.1 through ftp using a PPP
> > connection, would anyone have any clue as to how this is done when
> > istalling from scratch?
>
>   Well, I managed to do it, just to see if it could be done.
>
> > my root and /usr partitions.  I just have no idea as to how to start up a
> > PPP connection at this point.  Would anyone have this information?
>
>   I had to make a few additions to the miniroot filesystem before I could
> get everything going.  There are some directories and files which need to
> be added to get tip and pppd to run.  I had to create the lock directory
> for tip, and it seems like there was another directory required before I

Where do you have to put the lock directory?  Are there any files that
should be in the lock subdirectory?

> got tip to work.  I also don't think /etc/remote existed, or maybe it did,
> but there wasn't an entry for my MultiFaceCard III serial port.  Then I
> ran into another problem getting tip to run, which turned out to not
> having a HOME environment variable defined (which caused tip to get a
> segment violation).

I've never heard of tip.  How's it used and how's it related to pppd and
/etc/remote?  Do I have to have an /etc/remote to use tip, pppd, and
kermit?  I have the NetBSD-Amiga Networking FAQ.  Should I follow the
directions there? (I'm sorry for all the questions, I guess I'm sort of
new at this :(

>   Once I got a serial connection going (actually, at that point, I was using
> kermit - which was available on another disk partition that I could mount),
> I then had some fun getting the PPP link going.  The pppd program needed
> an options file which wasn't present on the miniroot.  Also, my ppp
> connection needed an authorization file created.

I'll look into the authorization stuff.  Also, I guess I'll download
kermit and copy it to my Amiga partition and then install it from there
using mount_ados.  Any suggestions?

> > For future reference:  I have a PPP account, with dynamically assigned IP
> > address.  Would I be able to bring up a PPP connection once my system is
> > installed?  Thanks in advance.
>
>   Yes, you should be able to - depending on how much you know about getting
> PPP going on a Unix system (or how much help you can get from other people
> who do know).

Thanks a lot for replying! :)

> Michael
>
> --
> Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
> Computer Consultant
> Information Technology Center
> Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

Jose Alburquerque
albu3619@cslab.enrg.ccny.cuny.edu